Osteoporosis: A Primer

At five every morning my alarm trills me awakes with the sound of songbirds. In my usual adept style, I arise from my bed and head towards my first stop of the day. On the way there I accidentally kick the mini stairs I have for my elderly and somewhat lethargic kitty. I have kicked those stairs numerous times; it’s almost as good a wake-up call as my alarm.

This time, however, something was different. My right foot looked like a slightly ripe eggplant from the fourth toe over to the outside and covering about half of my foot. I guessed I wasn’t going to work today. A brief visit to the local urgent care confirmed this. I have broken my fourth and fifth toes and fractured my fifth metatarsal (one of the long bones in the foot).

I never expected to be diagnosed with what I felt was a condition of the elderly. One that affected mostly white, slender ladies with many more years under their belt that I had. However, I was diagnosed with first osteopenia, then osteoporosis. I was 41.

What is Osteoporosis?

Osteoporosis is a condition in which the bones lose strength and density and are much more likely to fracture than a bone that is not osteoporotic. Osteoporosis is painless and often the first indication that a person has osteoporosis is a fractured bone.
Risk Factors

Like any disease, Osteoporosis has risk factors. Some of the risk factors you can change, such as your calcium intake and exercise levels, and some risk factors you can’t, like your age or gender. Always discuss any concerns you have with your doctor.

• Age: As you age, your bones do not replace lost tissue as quickly as they did when you were younger.

• Gender: Women are much more likely to get osteoporosis than men due to their estrogen levels and menopause. Estrogen plays a protective role for bones. However, men are not immune to it.

• Calcium Intake: You need a minimum intake level, based on your age and gender.

• Medicines: Some common medicines can weaken your bones. Steroids, blood thinners, and anticonvulsants are among theses.

           * Note: Never stop taking any medications without consulting your doctor first.

• Illness: Some illnesses such as cancer, rheumatoid arthritis, asthma or other long term lung diseases, can increase your risk of developing osteoporosis.

• Family History: If your Mom, Aunt or Cousin Sue had fractures in later life, you might be at risk too.

• Lifestyle: If you drink alcohol, caffeinated drinks, smoke, and do not participate in weight-bearing exercises, you are at higher risk of developing osteoporosis.

• Nutrition: Calcium intake of course, but also vitamin D intake also plays an important in the prevention of osteoporosis. If your intake is low, your risk of osteoporosis is higher.

• Race and Body Size: Smaller framed, thin people are at higher risk, as are Caucasians and Asians. Oh, and if you have fair skin, you are at higher risk too.

© 2007 Ruth Molenaar

Comments

Popular Posts